top of page

What is the Student Emergency Fund? 

The Student Emergency Fund is a resource for students facing unforeseen financial crises that put them in harm's way or could prevent them from continuing their education. Students can apply for up to $750 of one-time assistance for eligible expenses like food, rent, medical bills, and car repairs. 

Is this Student Government money?


The SEF was created and is managed by the Provost's office. Student Government has played a role in promoting and developing the fund, but Student Government does not review applications to the fund or make funding decisions. Our job is to connect students to this resource and help them understand how to apply. The money in the fund is a combination of EMU general fund money, donations, and Student Government funds. 

Who reviews the applications and makes the final decision?


Applications to the fund are reviewed by a representative committee of University officials. Notification of whether applicants received full, partial, or no funding will be sent out by Director of Undergraduate Studies Doris Fields. 

How do I give my application the best chance of being granted?


If you are considering applying, first review the Student Emergency Fund Application and ensure that you meet all eligibility criteria and that you are applying to cover an eligible expense.

Then, fill out the application form to the best of your ability. Being thorough and including as many details as possible will help your application. Providing supporting documentation such as insurance statements, eviction notices, receipts, or anything else that demonstrates financial need and verifies your circumstances can expedite the funding process.

Applications to the fund are reviewed by a representative committee of University officials. Notifications on application status are sent out by the Student Emergency Fund Committee - if you need a statement there.

Please know that the review committee does not ask for supporting material because you are not believed. If you are applying for the fund, your circumstance is complex and your hardship is valid. The review committee is simply fulfilling their responsibility to donors to the fund to ensure that the money is spent responsibly. 

Where do I submit my application?

Simply click here or on the green button at the bottom of this page to be taken to the electronic form. If you use the electronic form, you do not need to use the PDF or paper application.

Where can I direct any questions not answered here?

All questions related to the application process and pending applications may be directed to

If my application is denied, may I reapply?

Yes. If you are reapplying for the same or a similar situation, make sure that you include additional documentation and/or verify that you are applying for help with an eligible expense to give your application the best chance of being granted.

How long does the process take?

Between 2 and 4 weeks. Applicants are updated on the status of their application as often as possible. Include dated receipts with your application if you need to pay for an eligible expense before money can be disbursed to your account. 

342 EMU Student Center 
Ypsilanti, Michigan 48197


T: 734-487-1470


© 1914 by EMU

Proudly created with

2019 created by Katie Smith

bottom of page